Sunday, April 10, 2011

Tempeh


April 10, 2011

Grilled Tempeh Burgers

mmmm.....very good for a vegetarian dish! Could be made vegan if you omit the cheese.

Tempeh is a block of fermented soy product that originated in Indonesia. Tempeh has a nice meaty texture and plenty of protein. It is also gluten-free for those that are sensitive, as most are soy and rice based.
It takes on the flavor of whatever its marinated or cooked in. I think that it takes on flavors better than tofu!

1- 8oz package of Tempeh (I like the Flax tempeh best, but plain is just fine)
Marinade:
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 tablespoons mirin (Japanese cooking wine)
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Cut the tempeh into slices, about 1/2 inch thick.
Combine all ingredients and marinate the tempeh for 30 minutes to overnight.

Grill the tempeh until golden brown on each side.

Put the tempeh onto a bun or piece of homemade flatbread with the cheese of your choice. I like the Sweetgrass Dairy Thomasville Tomme sliced thin.
I also added fresh cilantro and mixed baby greens from my garden for a fresh crunch!
Last summer, I canned some red and orange bell peppers that I picked on St. Helena Island, SC. I opened my last bottle tonight and added some sweet red peppers to my sandwich. It gave not only a sweetness to it, but also a nice vinegar twang! Adding pickles or pickled Vidalia onions to this sandwich is also very tasty!





No comments:

Post a Comment