Wednesday, April 13, 2011

FINALLY new produce


April 13, 2011

I was starting to get a little worried about this eating local thing. I knew that I would have limited things to work with here at the beginning of spring....I had visions of me eating salad, herbs, eggs, cheese, and more salad...but things are looking up!

This has been a challenge so far, and I'm only eating 80% local! I did have some good pasta the other day, with a nice homemade marinara sauce (local home canned tomato & basil) and south Georgia grass-fed beef; and that was a nice change.

I joined a local farm's CSA program, which stands for Community-Supported Agriculture. This means that I pay a fee, almost like buying a "share" in the farmer's crop, and then I get the produce at harvest time. The farmer takes the money in advance to buy seeds and finance the farming, and then pays his "investors" back in produce and product.

Farming is always a risk, especially lately as it has been getting into the upper 30s at night, even along the coast. Part of the fun and gamble of being a member of a CSA is that you are relying on the farmer's skill and mother nature........you don't know which crops will make it or not!
I will routinely post my baskets as they come in!

The First CSA basket from Rest Park Farm!

This week's basket: Radishes, bok choy, mesclun salad mix, romaine lettuce, sweet potatoes (harvested in the fall and stored), and strawberries from Dempsey's farm.
Holy cow! That's a LOT of veggies for one person! I did give 2 heads of romaine and 2 heads of bok choi to my neighbor in thanks for her taking care of my chickens when I'm out of town.

I plan on blanching any bok choi I have left at the weekend and freezing it for stews. I have used it in minestrone soup and spicy thai soups.

Tonight: The last of the leftover grilled tempeh, and sauteed bok choi in cayenne, garlic, cilantro, and baby Vidalia onion. I used the last of my hickory smoked Maine sea salt, and it is a delicious addition!

I promise I will add some good meat recipes here soon, despite all the vegetarian/vegan recipes I've posted recently. I am, after all, still a member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals). :)

Next time......Beef, sweet potato poutine, and soft shell crab season!

No comments:

Post a Comment