Saturday, April 16, 2011

My downtown Charleston adventure


April 16, 2011

Last night, after work in Goose Creek, I decided to go out to dinner and spend the night with a friend in downtown Charleston. The best part about this little adventure is that I didn't have to go off of my "local eating" commitment! I got to spend an evening as a "local" south of Broad on the Charleston peninsula.

My friend's family is renting a historic home on Church Street, and she gets to live there until late May. The home was built in 1812 and was originally a grocery merchant's house, then was a slave hospital, and then again was a private home. There is a ghost in the house, and funny enough, I stayed in the room right next to where the person met her demise. YIKES! There were no weird bumps in the night to disturb me, and I slept like a rock! You would have too if you had taken a scenic walk to dinner and eaten what we did!

A ten-minute walk took us to a new Charleston restaurant, Husk. Husk opened in November 2010, and was voted 2011 "Best New Restaurant" in Southern Living.
Their menu changes DAILY and is based on what is seasonally available in the South. Their rule is that if it's not produced east of Texas, and south of the Mason-Dixon line, it does not come through their doors!

We shared an appetizer, their tasting of southern hams with local pickled vegetables (ramp, green beans, green tomato, garlic).
For the main course, I had the Smoky BBQ Chicken from Keegan Filion Farms with Anson Mills Farro and Field Peas, and bacon braised Kale.
Their sweet tea comes from, you guessed it, the Charleston Tea Plantation.
And....for dessert, the Pecan praline bread pudding.
YUM!!!!!
I tried to take pictures, but it was too dark for my little iPhone. I did get a good pic of their excellent beer list. I really enjoyed the Kind Belgian Red Ale.



The next time you are taking a little adventure, either in a foreign country, or in your hometown, check out these neat little eateries that are riding the wave of the local food movement. I know you will enjoy what you try, and enjoy helping to support the local economy and artisan food makers.

No comments:

Post a Comment