Saturday, May 14, 2011

The courgettes are coming!


May 14, 2011

Summer is upon us here in Beaufort, South Carolina!
The roses are in
full bloom!

And....The courgettes are also in full swing, both with their blooms and delicious fruit!

Why am I calling regular old summer squash "courgettes"? Well, in Great Britain they call zucchini "courgettes"....and I was trying to trick my husband.
You see, Doug HATES squash. I mean, he HATES the stuff with a passion!


So, this is how bad he hates squash!

Anyways, I had watched an episode of "Jamie at Home" on the Cooking Channel, and he was doing recipes on summer squash. I decided that since my CSA box is bursting with all types of "courgettes".....pati-pans, crook-neck, cannon-ball and regular small zucchini...that I should try some new recipes!

The most classic way I've seen squash cooked in the deep South is the Squash Casserole. It is a favorite at our Thanksgiving and Christmas tables. My Mother makes hers with Vidalia onion, yellow crook-neck squash, butter, salt, pepper and sharp cheddar cheese. She tops the casserole with crushed Ritz crackers.

I prefer to steam mine with Vidalia onion and a little salt and pepper. They cook quickly, and still retain some nutrients.

The recipe I tried tonight is a little different from how most Southerners cook their squash. It is a raw dish, and is delicious! It is an excellent side dish, and I think I'll take the leftovers and spoon it over grilled fish tomorrow night.

Raw Courgette Salad
Serves 2-4
3-6 small young zucchini and/or crook neck squash
1/2 of a sweet red pepper, chopped into slivers
Handful of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons of fresh mint, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons of basil, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
pinch of sea salt
pinch of black pepper
pinch of cayenne or red pepper flake

Method:
Wash the squash and dry them. Using a mandolin or a veggie peeler, peel them into very thin strips, including the very outer skin. When you reach the seeds, stop and discard the seedy portion.
Toss the rest of the ingredients with the thinly sliced squash slices. Taste a bit of it and adjust the acid, salt and pepper. Serve as a side dish, or on top of chicken or fish.

I took a page from my Cousin Buddy's book tonight and garnished mine with basil flowers. They were delicious!
I urge you to take advantage of the squash-a-plenty in your summer garden. Get online and try some new recipes! Don't just feed it to your chickens (mine won't eat it anyways....they must take after their Father!)

No comments:

Post a Comment